Monday, May 26, 2008

Honey and silver dressings

I've eaten some honey today but will be asking for a few patches to bring back with me next time I go to the doctors. I think they're just being tried out on other people as the box is there and they've worked so well on me. It was a very big box of dressings .. took the nurse back when she saw it!!! They were written out on my prescription as far as I know which I have on a yearly prescription card. I hope they help healing for other people too. They certainly appear to with my illness .. something to pass round.

Silver dressings were being used before to cut down the risk of infection .. because silver kills bacteria but they hadn't contributed to the sore healing.

Silver dressings

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/may/Maillard/Focus-On-Silver.html

Honey dressings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3787867.stm

And, many thanks to me friend who told me about the honey .. ok .. it's taken a while to sort it out but it certainly seems to work with a pressure sore combined with delicate skin caused by my auto immune illness. I think trying to heal it with the silver dressings went on for about five/six months or so with no improvement .. with the honey ones .. about a week and a half/two weeks with my body being over enthusiastic as a result .. though this can happen quite a lot in wound healing apparently .. though it's a first for me.

I've told the person what's happened who told me about the honey and thanked her. Though haven't told everyone I know yet.

Be off to bed soon .. or, bee off to bed soon. I had a few hours sleep last night so I'm not complaining but I think it's better if I start organising a routine. Obviously I'll have nights where there's pain and I might want to stay up anyway if it's difficult to get to sleep or there's some other problem like sickness etc.