Monday, May 26, 2008

Two books on the go

I'm reading Nevil Shute's On The Beach at the moment .. can remember reading his books when I was around fifteen .. this one's about the final months on the planet where everything is being destroyed by radiation. The author went to live in Australia if I remember correctly because he believed if anything happened like that Australia would be the last place affected. Think mum told me that ... we all read them .. cept me brother because he would have been much, much too young!! lol!

Good books too. I find fiction quite hard to read these days .. prefer non fiction whereas in those days I used to read lots of novels. Someone else my age said that they were much the same .. that, over the years they've found non fiction more interesting than fiction.

If I read another novel after this I might try Hermann Hesse .. bring back the 60s too but in a different way. My brother was tlking about it the other day ..I don't think I ever did read it .. I've got a copy .. or, I had a copy .. because people often spoke about it as a book that had meant a lot to them.. but I never read it myself. Might give it a go but I find fiction difficult these days to get in to .. have done for the last fifteen years or so.

I will read Michelle's book again too .. one person who read it said it was a good book to take on holiday with you .. I think she meant because you'd have time to read it through and take your time to mull it all over. I read it through quite quickly but I think I'll go back and read it through at a slower pace.

Not quite yet though. I'm reading another book about self harming ..read two chapters of it so far. I've known a number of people who've done this over the last few years .. I didn't know anyone when I was young myself .. was talking about this with people too and they said they think that its more common these days. Michelle mentions it too so it wasn't that unknown in her time .. but I knew quite a few people with various problems growing up and not one self harmed in that way. I've read both what Michelle and this other young woman say and I just don't understand how they feel .. I think I would feel the opposite of what they did if I tried anything like that. I imagine this book has a good ending too if the young woman has written this book. Got it in the Works. I just wanted a couple of books to go with Michelles so that her story wasn't the only one along that line I was reading.

I have those two books on the go now. I think when I've finished them I'll read Michelle's book again. I think it'll be a book I'll keep to lend out .. rather than like Gordon Smiths where, well they were very cheap, that I gave to a few people.

I know a bit more about the TV "mystics" now .. well, Derek Acorah anyway. I saw some clips ... he was the one whose books I got in the charity shop ... lol!!!!! I wasn't expecting anything like that .. all I can say is .. um, it looks like he's a good entertainer. But .. what do I know .. does he mess around sometimes or is all the programme like that. I guess it's difficult to know when all you've seen is a few minutes of him horsing around .. someone suggested that the whole programme isn't like that .. I'll have to ask around .. so far though I don't seem to know anyone who's seen them. Never mind .. I've got the books and I suppose I'll find someone who has seen the programmes or a few of them.