Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Off to the dermatology dept on a nice sunny day

A nice sunny day today as I set off for the hospital to have the nurses see to me illness and, I guess, write up their notes and pass them off to the docs. As I'm in the dermy place I sit among all the pictures of skin cancer in its various forms and stages to look at while I'm being treated.

When I wrote about me illness before and said that solar radiation could be a trigger I posted up links to the people from BAD's (British assosiation of Dermatologists website .. and said that it as best to have a little bit of sun exposure everyday but to be careful that you're not out there too long and that some times of day are better than others.

Just be sensible. I passed some people who'd obviously been outside and not being careful .. someone who had been burnt too probably caught unawares by the April sun .. happened to me once many years ago .. I suspect it's more likely to happen now than then. Other people who obviously didn't know (????!!!!????) but had been soaking up the rays for hours with little clothing on and, I suspect, little or no protection.

I didn't take my sun hat with me though should've done ... bit of a rush this morning as I overslept .. had 2 sleepless nights then slept again last night.

Anyway links to the BAAAAAAAD pages.

There are lots of links to click and read on this page.

http://www.bad.org.uk/site/574/default.aspx

It'll explain all about the role of vitamin D .. why you need it and how you can get it from minor sun exposure and food and vitamin supplements .. you don't need to take huge doses of vit D infact it is bad for you.

I notice that neither my illness or lupus are mentioned as illnesses caused by sun exposure but there have been studies that are linking the two illnessess to solar radiation now. And as skin cancer is becoming more common so is lupus.