Thursday, August 20, 2009

The nursing home

Not sure whether to go say goodbye to the nursing home where mum stayed for some time before she passed over. She went there because she was suffering from Lewy Body's dementia .. something that can go with Parkinson's Disease .. and it wasn't really possible for her to stay with me anymore as she needed more than one person to look after her.

Still, she had the freedom she wanted for as long as possible and the nursing home was pretty good on that score too .. though obviously in a different way.

Still, she asked if I would stay here to be with her and I said I would .. did but became ill myself.

Gave the nursing home some money to buy something out of the little bit of money mum left .. they bought occupational therapy huts for the garden where the people could pretend they were going out for a cup of tea etc or to the shops .. something like that anyway. One had sand on the floor so must've been something to do with the seaside.

One woman whose husband had developed early onset dementia said it was these that had made her decide that this home was the one for her partner because it was obvious that they cared .. and, yes, the money was spent very wisely.

I gave the money because of the freedom aspect .. very difficult to manage in the situation.

I see that the ownership has changed hands so maybe I won't go. Was just going to pop in with a tin of chocolates like I used to every now and then to share between staff and residents. It used to make the people there so happy.

Remember the treks to Woolies and Tesco to get tins of chocs .. very good if they had them on special offer ... lol!!! Sometimes one place and sometimes the other. They had a fund you could donate to as well for extra treats for the people there.

Nah, don't think I'll go back.